2/25/2014

Ma, mā, mă, mà und má


Rather than the typically German "Mama" the kids have been calling me "Ma" for a few years now. I have no idea, where it came from, Mutze might have started it.
 
So all day long it's like:
 
"Ma?", "Ma!", Ma..."

And whenever I come home from our Chinese lessons they ask:
 
„Ma, what did you learn today?“
 
„The tones,“ I said the other day, and tried to explain to them, that there a many Chinese words that are written the same in pin yin, the Latin letters, but depending on how you pronounce them have a totally different meaning.
 
So the Kids thought it was really funny, that "Mama" is „mā“ in Chinese – but it really cracked them up that, if pronounced differently („mă“) it means horse. 

....
 
....
 
....

Figures what they like to call me these days...
 
To which I (of course) respond with scowling „mà“ – which means to scold.
 
No doubt about it, in situations like this I'd really enjoy some… „má“.

(or rather dàmá, to be precise)

Sigh.
 
I'm afraid, I will never learn this language.
 
*****
 
Someone asked, if we included the kids in our decision to go to China.
 
Yes.
 
We did.
 
Although I have to admit that a "no" from Mutze would have had more influence than a "no" from Minka.
 
I mean, we could still carry Minka onto a plane, but with Mutze this just wouldn't work anymore.

 After all, she's already 16.
 
No, seriously.
 
We didn't even have to give it a second thought, though, because the kids were amazingly open-minded and looking forwards to the adventure.
 
Even Minka pragmatically agreed:
 
"If everybody is going, I'll go to."
 
Which really is a good thing, because the only way we are going is as a family.
 
****
 
You all have a good day!
 
So long,
Corinna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there,